Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
Perelman School of Medicine
ranked #3 among the best
medical schools in research
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
University of Pennsylvania ranked #4 among the world’s most innovative universities
- Using Race to Diagnose Anemia During Pregnancy May Increase Anemia at Delivery and Poor Outcomes July 22, 2021 Clinicians should not take race into account when diagnosing anemia in pregnant patients and pursuing interventions, according to new research from the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
- City-Funded Housing Repairs in Low-Income Neighborhoods Associated with Drop in Crime July 21, 2021 “We can now add structural home repairs to the growing list of place-based neighborhood interventions with strong evidence that they can help reduce violent crime,” said lead author Eugenia South, MD, MSHP.
- Spinal Fluid Biomarkers Detect Neurodegeneration, Alzheimer’s Disease in Living Patients July 20, 2021 “CSF biomarkers work similarly to a pregnancy test, offering a simple positive or negative result when enough of a substance is detected. But like a pregnancy test, biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease can provide false negatives or positives,” said lead investigator Katheryn A.Q. Cousins, PhD.
- Penn Medicine-Led Research Team Awarded $2.9 Million to Study Heart Disease and Cancer in Black and Hispanic Communities July 19, 2021 Nearly half of the approximately 17 million cancer survivors today have battled either breast or prostate cancer, and Black and Hispanic patients with these cancers are at an increased risk for developing cardiovascular disease.
- Basser Center for BRCA Awards 2021 Basser Global Prize to National Cancer Institute’s Andre Nussenzweig July 15, 2021 Each year, the Basser Global Prize recognizes a leading scientist who has conceptually advanced BRCA1/2-related research. Individuals with mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes are at an increased risk of breast, ovarian, pancreatic and other cancers.
Trial of Pimavanserin in Dementia-Related Psychosis.
Tariot PN, Cummings JL, Soto-Martin ME, Ballard C, Erten-Lyons D, Sultzer DL, Devanand DP, ... The New England journal of medicine. 2021 Jul 22;385(4):309-319
Risk of Late-Onset Breast Cancer in Genetically Predisposed Women.
Boddicker NJ, Hu C, Weitzel JN, Kraft P, Nathanson KL, Goldgar DE, Na J, ... Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2021 Jul 22;:JCO2100531
Of mice and men: What a mouse model of microglial C9ORF72 deficiency does-and does not-tell us about human neurodegenerative diseases.
Chen-Plotkin AS Neuron. 2021 Jul 21;109(14):2203-2204
Strategies to Overcome the Market Dominance of Hospitals-Reply.
Shah S, Navathe AS, Kocher RP JAMA. 2021 Jul 20;326(3):278-279
Open-Label, Single-Arm, Multicenter, Phase II Trial of Lenvatinib for the Treatment of Patients With Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer.
Wirth LJ, Brose MS, Sherman EJ, Licitra L, Schlumberger M, Sherman SI, Bible KC, ... Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2021 Jul 20;39(21):2359-2366 Epub 2021 May 7